The Salt Spring Centre of Yoga programs and facilities have been built almost exclusively by volunteers. Our Residential Karma Yoga Program offers an opportunity for participants to:
- Practice Selfless Service
- Contribute to the effective running of the Centre
- Deepen their own practice of yoga and meditation in the many practical and philosophical classes offered
- Enjoy the great benefits of living in a supportive, intentional and spiritual community
Along with this comes certain responsibilities. We choose to live according to basic yogic principles of diet and behavior. In keeping with the traditional sattvic diet prescribed for yoga practitioners, we do not use meat, fish, eggs, garlic and most onions in the Centre kitchen.
Smoking, illegal drugs and alcohol (and being under the influence thereof) are not permitted on the property.
These policies are foundational to the atmosphere that guests experience, as well as the continuing excellent reputation of the Centre. There are further practical guidelines arising from our experience over many years:
- Other than in the kitchens and for certain ceremonies, no naked flame or incendiary hazard is permitted on the property. This means no open fires, candles, smudges, incense or kerosene lamps are allowed on the land.
- We ask that you dress modestly and avoid public nudity.
- Please refrain from swearing.
- Please do not bring pets of any kind.
- Please avoid strongly-scented oils and cosmetics
- We have a no-shoe policy in all our major buildings and we ask that you remove your shoes at the entrance. Also, if you have been walking barefoot outdoors please ensure your feet are clean before you enter buildings, and remain off carpeted areas
- If you are involved in a romantic relationship, please ensure that you and your partner show discretion in your behavior while on Centre property.
- If you wish to have friends or family visit for a meal or a short stay while you are here, please see our guidelines.
- We observe silence each morning until 9:00 am.
- Evening quiet hours are observed from 9:00 pm onward.
If you have any questions about these guidelines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org