Executive Director, Salt Spring Centre of Yoga
Responsible to: Dharma Sara Satsang Society Board
Reports to: Dharma Sara Satsang Society Board Chair
Purpose of Position
The Executive Director is responsible for the leadership of the Salt Spring Centre of Yoga (the Centre), including management and administration of the Centre operations. These operations include retreat centre programs, events and accommodation; online programming; yoga teacher training; and facilities and staffing of kitchen, farm, wellness centre and places of devotion.
The Salt Spring Centre of Yoga is a yoga retreat centre located on Salt Spring Island. Inspired by master yogi and silent monk, Baba Hari Dass, the Centre was established by the Dharma Sara Satsang Society (DSSS) as a peaceful, positive environment for teaching and practicing the ideals of classical ashtanga yoga. The Executive Director works within the framework of planning and policies approved by the Board of Directors to ensure the Centre consistently fulfills its mandate and purpose as defined by the Dharma Sara Satsang Society’s vision and mission.
Education, Training and Experience
- A Master’s degree in management or equivalent combination of training, experience and education.
- Minimum of 5 years management level experience, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Experience working and/or volunteering with a Board of Directors.
Job Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates teamwork, leadership and supervisory skills.
- Strong work ethic and high level of integrity.
- Demonstrates critical, innovative and strategic thinking.
- Proven ability to supervise, delegate and collaborate with staff and volunteers.
- Understanding and experience of spiritual wellness, yoga practice and karma yoga service.
- Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrates success and proficient skills in fiscal management, budget preparation, grant writing and fund development.
- Proven ability to plan, coordinate and implement special events and programming.
- Proficient skills with computer and related technology/social media.
- Development and implementation of marketing strategies.
- Works in a respectful and cooperative manner with customers, staff, board and volunteers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with the Board, Society Committees and Community Director.
- Knows and adheres to the DSSS’s mandate, mission, vision, ethics, organization structure, policies, procedures, and standards of practice.
- Maintains strict professional standards of confidentiality and ethical behavior.
- Communicates effectively with the Board and provides, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Alerts the Board promptly of any extraordinary circumstances, including financial, legal, safety or ethical issues that may arise.
- Oversees the implementation of DSSS Strategic Plan in partnership with the Board that meet the DSSS’s goals and objectives.
- Develops and implements of all aspects of the Centre’s Operational Plan from the Strategic Plan.
- Oversees all aspects of the Centre’s operations ensuring that it is operating efficiently and effectively to achieve the Operational Plan.
- Offers guidance and implements decisions of the Board in keeping with all legal and contractual obligations undertaken by the Centre.
- Ensures that all necessary policies are in place, new policies are developed as the need arises and all policies are reviewed regularly.
- Oversees all aspects of contract management for the Centre operations.
- Reports regularly on the Centre’s operations to the Board and to the membership at monthly Board meetings and at the Annual General Meeting.
- Ensures proper administration and security of the Centre’s records.
- Oversees payroll and accounts payable for all operations.
- Ensures the prompt response to emergencies on the property.
- Delegates and oversees major renovations and equipment purchases.
- Proactively addresses challenges in the internal and external environment to protect the Centre and the DSSS’s interests.
- Other duties as required.
- Works with the Board to provide sound overall fiscal management of the Centre.
- Ensures all programs operate according to the Centre’s Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Works collaboratively with Treasurer for the preparation of comprehensive annual budgets, in consultation with Society Committees and staff.
- Approves and monitors ongoing allocation of resources within the approved budget and a commitment to maximize resource utilization and maintenance of a positive financial position.
- Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the Centre.
- Builds and maintains a strong working relationship with donors and other supporters.
- With Board approval, prepares and submits grant applications for operating and capital funding.
- Provides leadership for fund development activities, including special event fundraising, donor campaigns and new programming.
- Recruits, develops, maintains and supervises staff for the Centre’s operations.
- Develops and maintains a positive work culture that attracts and retains staff and connects to the mission of the DSSS.
- Ensures that staff fulfill their respective roles and responsibilities and adherence to Centre policies and procedures.
- Ensures adequate, qualified staffing is in place in all programs and that all staff are aligned with the DSSS’s mission and vision and that all are working together to achieve the Centre’s strategic objectives.
- Ensures the development of job descriptions and job postings for all roles and maintains personnel files.
- Provides regular supervision and annual evaluations of staff. If required, oversees and participates in actions of progressive discipline and termination of Centre staff.
- Ensures regular team meetings and ongoing and relevant professional development for staff.
- Provides information and communicates to staff about the goals within Strategic Plan.
- Develops, with staff, the annual operational work plans of each program to implement the Operational Plan.
- Supervises and coordinates volunteers, as appropriate.
Program Service Delivery
- Ensures all aspects of operations are fulfilled while delivering high quality services that reflect the mission of the DSSS.
- Ensures all operational departments have proper operating policies and procedures in place.
- Ensures all facilities consistently provide a safe, clean and welcoming environment.
- Works with staff to plan, coordinate and implement special events, yoga teacher training and programming.
- Reviews and evaluates special events and programming to modify for further success.
- Ensures that marketing strategies successfully represent and promote the programs, training and special events offered.
Community Liaison and Public Relations
- Develops and maintains cooperative relationships and positive profile with the greater satsang, local communities and general public.
- Represents the Centre in public arenas and promotes the mission of the DSSS.
- Oversees external communications related to programming and special events.
- Ensures the development and implementation of the Centre’s Communication and Marketing Plans.
- Represents the DSSS and the Centre positively and professionally at all times.