Job Posting: General Manager
The Salt Spring Centre of Yoga is looking for a General Manager for its facility in the BC Gulf Islands.
We are the oldest yoga centre on the Northwest Coast, having been established by students of Baba Hari Dass in 1981. We are located on 70 acres of Salt Spring Island woodland and meadow. The Centre hosts a program facility, a small 2-3 acre farm, an ayurvedic wellness centre, an independent school and a small residential community.
The General Manager coordinates the Centre’s operations in consultation with the Board of Directors. We host multiple seasonal programs including regular yoga classes, monthly Yoga Getaways, rentals, personal retreats, an annual community retreat for up to 300 participants, and a summer Yoga Teacher Training.
- inspire, manage and support a team of 10-30 staff and volunteers using a collaborative approach
- oversee and coordinate effective office, kitchen, housekeeping, farm and maintenance operations
- supervise responsible, sustainable financial and planning procedures
- oversee and manage guest retreats and centre events
- oversee resident work/study “Karma Yoga” program
- forecast and communicate staffing and operational needs for current and next season
- report to the Board of Directors and May consult with Society Committees
- experience in managing a team of people, both paid and volunteers
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to successfully navigate between staff, volunteers, guests, Board members, the executive community and the island community
- excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- demonstrated ability in leadership and collaboration
- working familiarity with standard financial & office procedures, website design & e-commerce
- understanding of hospitality and maintenance services with an ecological focus
- ability to manage healthy personal/ work boundaries
- Familiarity with current movements and trends in yoga and other spiritual practices
- commitment to the philosophy & practice of yoga (interest in the study of classical Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali preferred)
- an understanding of Karma Yoga and support of the KY work/study program required
The ideal candidate would have the maturity and insight to balance the ideals of the founding elders with the needs of younger aspirants and volunteers. This is a full-time residential position and includes private accommodation and board with vegetarian meals. Anticipated start time by January 2020. Applicants must be eligible to legally work in Canada.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25th.
We look forward to hearing from you!