Responsibilities & Qualifications
ResponsibilitiesIn collaboration with the Farm Coordinator you’ll be responsible for the daily operations of our 1.5 acre “market garden” with the primary aim of producing nutrient dense crops for 25+ residents and guests. The position requires a minimum commitment of 31 hours of work per week. The person who will be happiest here (or on any farm), however, loves working and learning in the field, and doesn’t mind giving a little extra when the rhythms of the land require it. We’re early to rise and to work, but we’re typically done by noon! Farm work is physically demanding and can be strenuous, and we work in the field, rain or shine. From your start date in February until October 31st, you’ll assume co-management of the following duties including, but not limited to:
- Crop planning. What, when, where.
- Daily direction, training, and support of the farm team, as well as occasional larger groups on our community work days.
- Weekly task planning and worker scheduling.
- Seeding, planting, thinning, and weeding.
- Harvesting & washing produce for daily kitchen use.
- Compost creation & fertility management.
- Irrigation management and upkeep.
- Maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Processing and storing produce for winter.
- Collecting and cleaning seed for future planting.
- Minimum of 3 years farming experience.
- An interest in the many traditional paths of yoga.
- Strong knowledge-base in annual and perennial production on ½+ acre. Experience with farm-to-table initiatives and/or collaboration with restaurant kitchens is a definite bonus.
- Comfortable and experienced with tractor operation. Or at least a good driver ;)
- Practical knowledge of and experience with farm tools including hand tools, irrigation systems.
- Physical ability to manipulate heavy equipment such as rototillers and other tractor implements.
- Experience or interest in permaculture and restoration agriculture practices.
- Supportive and approachable leadership style. Non-violent communicator.
- Must be able to tend to multiple tasks and prioritize. Strong organizational skills.
- Good sense of humour.