Responsibilities & Qualifications
Responsibilities:You will be responsible for the daily operation of our 1.5 acre "market garden" with the primary aim of producing nutrient dense crops for 25+ residents and guests. The position requires a minimum commitment of 28 hours of work per week. The person who will be happiest here however, loves working and learning in the field, and doesn't mind giving a little extra when the rhythms of the land require it. We are early to rise and to work, but we are typically done by noon! Farm work is physically demanding and can be strenuous, and we work in the field, rain or shine. From your start date in mid to end March until November 30, you will assume management of the following duties, but not limited to:
- Crop planning - what, when, where
- Daily direction, training and support of the farm team, as well as occasional larger groups on our community work days
- Weekly task planning and work scheduling
- Seeding, planting, thinning and weeding
- Harvesting and washing produce for daily kitchen use
- Compost creation and fertility management
- Irrigation management and upkeep
- Maintenance of tools and equipment
- Processing and storing produce for winter
- Collecting and cleaning seed for future planting.
- Minimum of 3 years farming experience
- An interest in the many traditional paths of yoga
- Strong knowledge-base in annual and perennial production on 1/2+acre. Experience with farm-to-table initiatives and/or collaboration with restaurant kitchens is a definite bonus.
- Comfortable and experience with tractor operation. Or at least a good driver.
- Practical knowledge of and experience with farm tools including hand tools, irrigation systems
- Physical ability to manipulate heavy equipment such as rototillers and other tractor implements
- Experience or interest in permaculture and restoration agriculture practices
- Supportive and approachable leadership style. Non-violent communicator.
- Must be able to tend to multiple tasks and prioritize. Strong organizational skills.
- Good sense of humour.