Karma Yoga Coordinator
The Karma Yoga Coordinator oversees the Centre’s Residential Karma Yoga Program. Broadly speaking, the position involves engaging and interviewing new applicants to the Residential Karma Yoga Program, planning and arranging the program’s curriculum of classes and gatherings, and helping to ensure that participants in the program and other resident staff have opportunities for interpersonal support. The ideal candidate is someone who communicates clearly and respectfully, possesses the organizational ability to plan and arrange ongoing events on a deadline, and loves creating spaces for people to learn and connect will likely do best in the role.
The position requires a commitment of 28 hours per week of work, which includes a few hours of weekly communal cleanup shifts done on a volunteer basis. As a community member, the coordinator is also asked to attend ca. 4 hours of classes and meetings per week, some of which the coordinator will also be involved in planning. Please see below for further details about the job.
What We Offer
We’re definitely not your average workplace. Many of the people who’ve lived and worked here count it among the most unique and transformative experiences of their lives. If you’re just interested in punching the clock and getting a paycheck, then this place may not be for you. However, if you’re open to exploring community life and spiritual practice, all while working hard to be of service to others, then there’s a good chance you’ll have a great time with us.
- Private accommodation with shared bathroom.
- Monthly stipend
- Instruction in yoga practice and philosophy, including free access to our ongoing public yoga classes.
- WiFi and laundry facilities.
- Two hot vegetarian meals per day, a self-serve continental breakfast, and access to a shared staff kitchen.
Yoga and Community
The Karma Yoga Coordinator also participates in the offerings provided in our Residential Karma Yoga Program, while also working to help organize it. In so doing, they get to learn and practice alongside other folks who come to work in our kitchen, maintenance, farm, office, and housekeeping teams. Participants in the program normally pay $875 for the 10-week program, but we include it as part of the coordinator’s compensation.
The ten-week program includes:
- Two 75-minute classes per week on yoga philosophy, practice, and community life.
- Two 60-minute classes per week on traditional yogic breathing and meditation.
- One 90-minute community circle per week for group discussions on matters relevant to community life.
- Access to ongoing yoga classes and other special events at SSCY.