Optimal Health Through Nourishing Your Digestion
October 13, 20, 27 & November 3, 2020
It has been said that;
“happiness is largely a matter of good digestion!”
Please join Jyoti Natasha Samson of Nourish Ayurveda and Yoga, to learn about the importance of focusing on digestion. This series of workshops will help you understand and provide tools on how to nurture a healthy balanced digestion (agni) and provide an understanding of how our food choices affect the mind and body.
- Experiencing digestive issues?
- Have low or variable energy throughout the day?
- Need for coffee, chocolate, pastry, or sugar for ‘pick-me-ups’?
- Waking up tired?
- Have a health issue(s) you just can’t get to the bottom of?
What, how, and when we eat has a major impact on our overall mind and body health, and wellness. Dismissing the signs listed above that our body shows us from our eating habits will lead to a more serious imbalance and disease. Understanding how to help our digestion will ultimately lead us to a happier healthier life.
Each module will be offered on Tuesday evenings from 6:00 to 8:00 pm over 4 weeks, so you can do a deep dive into the digestion!
Module One | Introduction to Ayurveda | Optional
October 13, 2020 | 6:00 to 8:00 PM PDT
- Introduction to Ayurveda.
- Three doshas and their qualities.
- Ayurveda constitution questionnaire (what’s your unique dosha or “Prakruti”).
- How the doshas or “Humors” present in the body. Aspects of air, bile and mucus in balance and in excess.
* Please note: This module is optional if you have previously completed an introduction into Ayurveda
Module Two | Ayurveda Definition of Health
October 20, 2020 | 6:00 to 8:00 PM PDT
- Review of the definition of ‘health’ according to Ayurveda.
- Understanding our digestive fire (Agni) and what happens to undigested, unabsorbed or unassimilated food (Ama).
- Signs of good digestion.
- Causes of poor digestion or absorption.
- Ayurveda guidelines for healthy digestion.
- Digestion of emotions.
Module Three | Food Combining
October 27, 2020 | 6:00 to 8:00 PM PDT
- Briefly recap module 2.
- Food combining: what combinations to avoid, what combinations are easier to digest together and water – when to drink.
- How to nurture your digestive fire (Agni Deepana).
- How to eliminate built up toxins (Ama Panchana).
Module Four | Six Tastes
November 3, 2020 | 6:00 to 8:00 PM PDT
- Briefly recap module 3
- Six tastes: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter & astringent.
- Functions each taste brings to the body.
- Effects of each taste on the dosha.
- Effect of each taste on the mind and body when in excess.
- Navigating cravings.
- Ayurveda elimination diet.
- Brief recap of what we learned.
Sliding Scale Pricing
To allow for more participation, we are now offering sliding scale pricing on select programs. Community Supported pricing allows those facing financial challenges to participate, Program Price is the set cost, and Pay it Forward helps support others in the program.
- Community Supported: $100 plus applicable taxes
- Program Price: $150 plus applicable taxes
- Pay it Forward: $175 plus applicable taxes
* If you have attended an Introduction to Ayurveda before, then you will only need to attend modules two to four, which the pricing options are;
- Community Supported: $90 plus applicable taxes
- Program Price: $135 plus applicable taxes
- Pay it Forward: $150 plus applicable taxes
These modules are eligible for 2 continuing education (CE) hours (8 hours for all four) for those teachers who are registered with Yoga Alliance, under the Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics (YPLE) category.
Also each module is eligible for 2 hours SSCY YTT 300* elective credits.
* Note: Salt Spring Centre of Yoga YTT 300 program dates to be announced in 2021.
Meet Your Instructor
JYOTI NATASHA SAMSON
CYA-RYT 200; Ay. HC
Jyoti is a graduate of the SSCY Yoga Teacher Training (200 hr) and teaches public, corporate, and private classes in the lower mainland. She also teaches at the Centre’s Yoga Getaways and retreats and is on faculty for the annual SSCY Yoga Teacher Training (200 hr). Jyoti furthered her studies and obtained her Ayurveda Health Counselor Diploma at the Mount Madonna Institute College of Ayurveda under prominent Ayurveda physicians; Dr. Vassant Lad, Dr. John Doulliard, Dr. Sarita Shrestha, Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar among others. She completed her Ayurveda Massage Treatment Program under the guidance of Dr. Jaisri Lambert. Jyoti teaches Ayurveda at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition and offers private Ayurveda Consultations and Body Treatments/Massage. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Dharma Sara Satsang Society.
To discover more about Jyoti visit: NourishYouFirst.ca