Recipes from the Centre Kitchen
If you’d like more recipes, please let me know by leaving a comment; I’d be happy to provide more.
6 cups chopped carrots
2 cups finely ground cashews
3 Tbsp. oil
1 cup finely chopped leeks (or mild onions if you prefer)
1 cup finely chopped celery
½ cup flour (or matzo meal for Passover)
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. basil
½ tsp. thyme
- Steam the carrots till soft, then blend them in a food processor or blender. Six cups of chopped carrots make about 3 cups blended.
- Grind the cashews in a food processor or blender till they’re quite fine. If you’re using a blender, it works best if you do small batches.
- Mix all ingredients together and place in an oiled baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until the top edges begin to look dry.
1 cup fine breadcrumbs (any kind)
½ cup finely chopped leeks
1 lb. tofu, blended
1 Tbsp. tamari
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. Sage
1 cup nutritional yeast (for coating the burgers)
olive oil, vegetable oil or ghee for frying
- Blend the tofu in a food processor.
- Mix all ingredients except the nutritional yeast in a bowl.
- Moisten your hands and form the mixture into patties.
- Dip them in the nutritional yeast, coating both sides.
- Fry them in oil or ghee until browned.
Breaded and Baked Tofu
½ cup cornmeal
¾ cup nutritional yeast
¾ cup sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. dillweed
2 tsp. basil
pinch cayenne (optional)
2 lb. tofu
½ cup tamari
- Combine the cornmeal, yeast, sesame seeds, herbs and cayenne to make the breading mixture.
- Set out two bowls, one for tamari and one for the breading mixture.
- Slice the tofu into ¼ inch to ½ inch slices (your preference).
- Dip each piece of tofu first into the tamari and then into the breading mixture, making sure it’s well coated.
- Place the tofu slices on an oiled baking tray and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
(For a quick meal, you can fry these instead of baking them.)
Contributed by Sharada